Saturday, August 20, 2011

"FOREST ELEMENTS" 11062, daily painter textured forest collage © Carol Nelson Fine Art

"FOREST ELEMENTS"


detail
Yesterday I brought this upstairs to show to my husband.  I told him it was the worst painting I had ever done.  This morning, knowing I couldn't make it any worse, I attacked it mercilessly.

I tore off all the collaged papers that WOULD come off (some wouldn't.)  Originally, it was all in neutral tones of black, beige, gold, white.  When in distress, I often retreat to the sanctity of my Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold.

I should tell you that the whole panel was primed with Daniel Smith's gold gesso.  I first learned about that product when teaching a workshop in Texas.  Lovely stuff - you can see it on the right hand side of the painting.

When I'm in the palace of Nickel Azo Gold, as you might imagine, Dioxazine Purple is just around the corner, as is Indian Yellow and Quin Magenta.  These are Golden Fluid acrylics I use all the time.

So, after messing around all morning, it eventually came out of the "ugly duckling" stage, and now I'm very happy with it.  So happy, in fact, I think this is the start of a new series.  After about 30 paintings in my Geologic Abstract series, I'm ready to try a Forest Abstract series.

For more information on this painting, click here to go to my website.