Wednesday, February 9, 2011

ORIGINAL PAINTED MIXED MEDIA ABSTRACT ART WORK BY COLLEEN SANCHEZ

INTO THE CARIBBEAN BLUE
by Colleen Sanchez
An original mixed media artwork
24 x 24 
Acrylic Artist Paints, Gesso, Felt. Glass Beads, Fabric
AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE

I had an absolutely fantastic time creating this mixed media painted and embellished art work. I dreamed each step of the piece ( memories inspired by a past visit to the Caribbean) and worked on it in stages.  I started by painting with Artist Acrylic paints on fabric and went on from there. Many components went into this painting on fabric along with some interesting sections created with the use of a heat gun and a candle. I also hand designed and painted the fabric I made the attached large beads from. I used high quality glass beads in some areas too - aqua silver lined glass beads and gorgeous multicolored glass bugle beads. Most of the stitched sections are done with an aqua or sea green metallic thread. Gesso, felt and acrylic paints were utilized to create the interesting add on shapes. You'll see from the next photo that the edges are finished by burning, it seemed like the right finish to complete this piece. Some may consider this an art quilt, but I just look at everything I do as art and will use whatever materials bring my project to life.