Saturday, April 17, 2010

100 OIL PORTRAITS IN 100 DAYS - Ferdinand, 89/100, © Carol Nelson Fine Art


Day 89

This is Ferdinand, husband of Kim, 88/100. I absolutely LOVE how Ferd turned out. Not to sound like a broken record, but that is really fantastic lighting in the reference photo. I especially like the reflected light on the shadow side. This is a great example of the darkest shadow being right next to the edge of the light. I used a mixture of prussian blue and paynes gray in that dark stripe down the middle of Ferd's face.
Ferd did present a few problems. He's wearing those almost invisible eyeglasses where you only see the top of the frame. Also, he doesn't have a full beard, but he's not clean shaven either - just a hint of stubble. I think those problems were worked out and I'm very pleased with the result.
This painting is sold.

Tomorrow I'm giving a workshop all day, so I don't think I'll get a new portrait done. It will be good to keep this portrait up for a couple days anyhow. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment