Wednesday, November 11, 2009

BUTTERFLY POPPIES, 9107, textured palette knife poppies © Carol Nelson Fine Art, Colorado, USA






I don't know if there is any such thing as "butterfly poppies," but it seemed appropriate for this painting because as I was working on the petals I was reminded of butterfly wings. Once again, I continue on my palette knife binge. I just like the texture you get with a knife.

I originally had magenta, yellow and orange poppies, but it did not seem like the painting was pulling together with all the variety in the flower colors. Eventually they all ended up much closer to one another in hue. The black background showing through here and there has a unifying effect.
This painting took me quite a while to work out the color scheme, but I'm finally happy with the finished result.

For purchase information on this gallery wrapped 24x24 inch (61x61cm) painting, please see my website, or email me at carolnelsonfineart@comcast.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment